There are scholarships of all different kinds available to students. Here, we will provide information on a number of local scholarships. If you are interested in searching for scholarships on a larger scale, consider using websites such as Big Future by the College Board, Cappex, Scholarships.com, or Fastweb. There are a large number of additional scholarship search websites. It is also a good idea to look for scholarships directly on the website of the college or university you plan to attend. As a general rule, you should never pay to apply for a scholarship.
Local Scholarships (Penta-only scholarships are listed first)
Bates Recycling Scholarship
Due: February 19, 2021
Bates Recycling in Cygnet is generously offering a $500 scholarship to one graduating senior from Penta Career Center. To be eligible, students must have a minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA.
Owens Community College Tech Prep Scholarship
Owens Community College offers Tech Prep scholarships to graduating high school seniors who have participated in a Tech Prep career pathway within the Greater Northwest Ohio Tech Prep Consortium. The maximum award is $500 per semester for four semesters to cover tuition, fees, and an allotment for books that are not covered by other financial aid, such as the Federal Pell Grant, as long as the student maintains eligibility. This scholarship does not pay for supplies, lab fees, course fees, and other institutional fees. The scholarship is only for fall and spring semesters.
Students must obtain the Tech Prep Scholarship Application and complete it in order to be considered. The application and all documentation must be submitted during the academic year.
To qualify for the Owens Community College Tech Prep Scholarship, students:
- Must have earned a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 grading scale by the end of their 7th high school semester;
- Enroll at Owens Community College for the fall semester immediately following high school graduation;
- Enroll in at least 12 graded credit hours each semester (continuous full-time student enrollment in fall and spring semesters is required in order to continue receiving the scholarship);
- Declare an associate degree program related to the chosen high school Tech Prep career pathway;
- Indicate the intent to obtain a certificate, or to obtain an associate degree for transfer to another college or for the job market;
- Have instructional and general fee charges which are not being paid by other financial aid, such as the Federal Pell Grant.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each academic year and complete the verification process, if selected.
- Maintain a college cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better to continue receiving the scholarship.
Greater Toledo Community Foundation Scholarships
The Greater Toledo Community Foundation manages a large number of scholarships from a wide variety of groups and organizations available to students in the greater Toledo area. Please check out the link below and create an account to see what scholarships you may be eligible for. Each scholarship has its own qualifying criteria.
The Bonnie Eddy Educational Supply and Book Grant
Due: Application must be emailed by January 31, 2021
The NW Region Executive Committee of the Ohio School Boards Association is comprised of elected school board members who take pride in providing support to high school seniors demonstrating an interest in the teaching profession. The NW Region OSBA proudly awards a minimum of $2000.00 in educational support annually through the Bonnie Eddy Educational Supply and Book Grant (BEES-BG). All seniors in Northwest Ohio whose school district is a member of the Ohio School Boards Association (OSBA) is eligible to apply for one of the $500.00 BEES-BG awards.
Educational Office Professionals of Ohio Lila M. Van Sweringen Student Scholarship
Due: February 26, 2021
The Educational Office Professionals of Ohio is offering a $1,000 scholarship to an Ohio senior headed to college the following year in an office-related field. This could include accounting, business management, computer science, or something else along these lines.
The Ohio Oil and Gas Energy Education Program & the Ohio Oil and Gas Energy Education Foundation Scholarship
Due: March 1, 2021
The Ohio Oil and Gas Energy Education Program (OOGEEP) and the Ohio Oil and Gas Energy Education Foundation (Foundation) are pleased to announce our scholarship program targeted at students pursuing careers in the crude oil and natural gas industry.
Each scholarship is worth a minimum of $1,000 per year and can be renewed for up to four years. The minimum scholarship applicant criteria includes:
– Must be a U.S. citizen.
– Must have a career goal in the natural gas and oil industry.
– Must be an OHIO resident OR a student attending, or planning to attend, an accredited OHIO college, university, technical or trade school.
– Must have and maintain a grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.5 or higher.
Janet Phlegar Foundation 2021 College Scholarship
Due: April 1, 2021
The Janet Phlegar Foundation was established to provide assistance to graduating high school seniors that have a parent and/or legal guardian that has been affected with cancer, as a cancer survivor, those who may have succumbed to cancer, or those who are currently fighting.
To be eligible, the student must have a parent that was diagnosed with cancer, the candidate or parent/legal guardian must currently live or work in Toledo and the surrounding suburbs, be attending an Ohio college or trade school, and show financial need.
Commodore Perry Federal Credit Union Scholarship
Due: May 15, 2021
Commodore Perry Federal Credit Union is offering a $500 scholarship to a high school senior graduating from the class of 2021. Applicants or legal parents/guardians must be a member of Commodore Perry Federal Credit Union.